The Simon & Schuster Handbook for Writers is designed to help you find what you need to become a better writer. It offers comprehensive access to vital information on the writing process, from mastering grammar to using correct punctuation, from writing research papers to documenting sources, and from writing for the Web to writing using visuals. The Simon & Schuster Handbook is carefully designed to be a useful tool in your academic life and beyond.
Table of Contents
Personal Message to Students
How to Use the Simon & Schuster Handbook for Writers
Elements on the Pages of This Handbook
About the Authors
PART ONE: Writing Situations and Processes
1. Understanding Academic and Other Writing Situations
2. Essential Processes for Academic Writing
3. Writing Paragraphs, Shaping Essays
4. Thinking Critically About Ideas and Images
5. Writing Arguments
6. Writing with Others
7. Strategies for Writing Typical Kinds of Papers
PART TWO: Writing Effectively, Writing with Style
8. Style and Tone in Writing
9. Sentence Variety and Style
12. The Impact of Words
13. Usage Glossary
PART THREE: Understanding Grammar and Writing Correct Sentences
14. Parts of Speech and Sentence Structures
16. Pronouns: Case and Reference
18. Adjectives and Adverbs
19. Sentence Fragments
20. Comma Splices and Fused Sentences
21. Misplaced and Dangling Modifiers
22. Shifting and Mixed Sentences
PART FOUR: Using Punctuation and Mechanics
23. Periods, Question Marks, and Exclamation Marks
28. Quotation Marks
29. Other Punctuation Marks
30. Capitals, Italics, Abbreviations, and Numbers
PART FIVE: Research and Writing
32. Types and Uses of Research in Writing
33. Writing Research Papers
35. Using Sources and Avoiding Plagiarism
36. MLA Documentation with Case Study
37. APA Documentation with Case Study
38. Chicago Manual (CM), Council of Science Editors (CSE), and IEEE Documentation
PART SIX: Writing Across the Curriculum–and Beyond
39. Comparing the Disciplines
40. Writing About the Humanities and Literature
41. Writing in the Social Sciences and Natural Sciences
42. Making Presentations and Using Multimedia
43. Business and Professional Writing
44. Writing for the Public
45. Document and Visual Design
46. Multimodal Texts and Writing for the Web
47. Creating a Writing Portfolio
PART SEVEN: Writing When English Is Not Your First Language
48. Multilingual Students Writing in Canadian Colleges and Universities
49. Handling Sentence-Level Issues in English
50. Singulars and Plurals
52. Word Order
54. Gerunds, Infinitives, and Participles
55. Modal Auxiliary Verbs
This title is currently out of stock.
We recommend Simon & Schuster Handbook for Writers, Sixth Canadian Edition Plus MyWritingLab -- Access Card Package, 6th Edition as a replacement.
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
MyLab & Mastering ?
MyLab & Mastering products deliver customizable content and highly personalized study paths, responsive learning tools, and real-time evaluation and diagnostics. MyLab & Mastering products help move students toward the moment that matters most—the moment of true understanding and learning.
CDN$55.00 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-296695-5
Alternative Options ?
Click on the titles below to learn more about these options.
CDN$114.45 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-266599-5