Pre- and in-service career counselors get a straightforward, accessible approach to the practice of career counseling through a focus on the process and techniques of the profession.
This interesting, straightforward guide takes readers step-by-step through the actual career counseling process, from initial interview through termination. An accessible look at “how to do career counseling,” the book clearly defines the profession and the competencies counselors need to pursue as part of their training.
The focus is on the practice of career counseling, examined through the basic techniques and resources useful in supporting the theories of career choice and development. The use of the Internet as a career counseling tool is emphasized; emerging issues such as Web-based counseling are explored; and case studies illustrate authentic counseling strategies and techniques in action. A new look at such areas as using group counseling methods in job searches and using the resume to inspire the development of career stories–coupled with the availability of MyCounselingLab, which further connects course work to the real world–update and improve this third edition, providing a highly practical look at the practice of career counseling today.
Table of Contents
1. Career Counseling: Myths, Realities, and Emerging Trends
2. Using Career Theories to Help Clients
3. Context and Career Planning
4. Negotiating the Career Counseling Relationship
5. Defining the Client’s Career Concerns
6. Exploring the Problem: Understanding the Self
7. Exploring the Problem: Contextual and Labor Market Options
8. Using Technology in Support of Career Counseling
9. Consolidation, Decision Making, and Action Planning
10. Implementing Action Plans
11. Evaluating Client Progress
12. Adapting Career Counseling to Counseling Setting
Appendix A: The National Career Development Association’s Career Counseling Competency and Performance Indicators
Appendix B: National Career Development Association Ethical Standards (Revised 2003)
Format: eBook to Be Determined
This title is currently unavailable on myPearsonStore.